Our aim is to to create and grow a sustainable brand with more thoughtfulness, transparency and accountability, just fewer products (to achieve better results).
Coz’ Too. Many. Products = Too. Much. Waste. Your skin and the planet should be happy, not stressed.
We’re *serious* about this shiz because there’s no planet B folks, and to prove it, let’s run through everything we’ve been able to accomplish so far:
1. Our lip care range now uses plastic free packaging (aluminium tins) and biodegradable tamper-evident shrink seals made from Viskrings/Celons. Read more below under packaging + printing.
2. We use biodegradable + compostable post satchels for shipping which is made from plants and produced from wind and renewable energy. Read more below under shipping + dispatch.
3. We’ve recently switched coffee suppliers to a company that is transparent, ethical and professional in their approach of harvesting coffee beans. Oh and they’re also dedicating time, effort and cashola towards bettering the socio-cultural development of the community and the environment in which the company operates in (big yes). Get more info on our ethical suppliers (insert link)
4. We’ve just finalised a carbon neutral option at checkout where customers (you) can choose to offset their sale.
While we’re pretty bloody proud of ourselves for achieving the above (high fives each other), we recognise we can always do more so we have a few things in the works for 2021 and beyond because saving our planet is the right thing to do:
1.Switching up our ‘scrubs’ packaging to be something that is easily recyclable. Watch this space.
2.We hope to foster partnerships that’ll allow us to implement a completely circular supply chain when it comes returning recycled packaging in an easy & efficient way.
3.Getting our palm oil free accreditation is in process (w).
4.We’re putting a major focus on responsible sourcing so we’ll aim to swap all of our suppliers if they’re not meeting our sustainable standards.
BUT we are continually on the hunt for ways to reduce our carbon footprint as a brand because lootin’ and pollutin’ is just not the way. Feel free to holla at us with any suggestions you might have, we are all ear, and wagging tails! GO PLANET!
doin’ our bit for mother nature
We are all about cutting the crap and that means using natural ingredients that won't harm the beautiful planet we're living on. Not only do we not use Palm Oil due to the social, environmental and ethical implications caused by the palm oil industry but we opt for natural ingredients for a tonne of other reasons including:
- they don't add dangerous chemicals to our ecosystems, ensuring the behaviour of fish, their reproductive abilities and their lives go unchanged and unharmed.
- they don't contribute to reef damage as chemicals can actually strip the coral of its nutrients and put the many ocean animals that live there at risk.
- microbeads (plastic beads used in some exfoliators) are also a no-go for us as they end up in our waterways and eventually in the bodies of fish and other marine life.
- We are 'Plantarians', because we are against animal cruelty, and because it helps the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the growing and production.
Our ingredients are kind to your naked butts, you will never find these baddies in our products; synthetic colours, silicones, parabens, microbeads, P.E.G.s, Sulfates, G.M.O.'s, Mineral oils, petrolatum or chemical U.V. filters. Not only is it bad for your skin, but it's harmful to Mother Nature. 'Aint nobody got time for that! Read more about our clean ingredients.
shipping + dispatch
We use biodegradable + compostable post satchels for shipping which is made from plants and produced from wind and renewable energy. It has a low carbon footprint, and best of all can be composted at home, reducing waste in our landfills.
Wind farms for the win(d)! Your compost worms will love you for it!
We reuse all the cardboard boxes that arrive in our warehouse boxes to pack
wholesale and large order. This means, none of the packaging from incoming
couriers and suppliers is thrown out, we use every last piece! If an order needs a little extra padding, we use bio-fill which is made from Australian corn
and potato starch, as well as biodegradable bubble wrap. When immersed in water, bio-fill dissolves with no harmful
residue and can be thoughtfully disposed of as it completely breaks down.
Bio Fill is also compostable and can be used on your garden – it can actually improve soil structure!
packaging + printing
We are digital geeks, so we choose to communicate with our customers via cyberspace using online marketing material utilising social media and email. But sometimes we need some printed fun. This fun is printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper (creating less waste) using soy or vegetable inks. At Butt Naked HQ, we only use 100% recycled printing paper.
Lip Care Range
Our lip care range uses plastic free packaging (aluminium tins) and biodegradable tamper-evident shrink seals made from Viskrings/Celons. This material is made from extruded cellulose. That means the main ingredient in these bands is wood pulp sourced from renewable sources! The seals are bio-degradable and home compostable – you can put them in your food waste instead of disposing of these through conventional waste-streams.
Face Mask Labels
These labels are made from Bagasse fibre, a plant-based, renewable tree-free. material made from Sugar-cane paper; created from predominantly sugar cane waste.
During the growth of the sugar cane, atmospheric carbon is captured by the plant and converted to biomasse. Bagasse is the fibre that remains after the juice has been extracted from the sugar cane plant.
Producing Bagasse had a lower carbon footprint so by using sugarcane in place of wood pulp we can lower pollution and preserve forest ecosystems.
We use FSC certified environmentally sustainable label materials for our face mask tamper seals.
What is FSC? It’s a Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) Chain of Custody (CoC) certified label; which tracks the label from a tree, through the supply chain and on to us, the end user. Chain of Custody (CoC) certification is the mechanism used to track wood material of certified forests, responsible sources and reclaimed material to any point along the supply chain.
We are currently working super-hard to research and implement more sustainable options for our product labels and packaging. Our mission is to make each product as sustainable as possible and ditch the unfriendly to nature components. However, as bio packaging is in its infancy it is a hard task to source materials and resources to allow us to implement all these things overnight. Please be patient with us, our vision is to implement bio innovations in as many facets of the business as possible.
Our naked warehouse uses TerraCycle waste boxes to recycle any waste we cannot reuse ourselves. The collected waste is mechanically and/or manually separated into metals, fibers, and plastics. Metals are melted so they may be recycled. The fibers (such as paper or wood based products) are recycled or composted. The plastics undergo extrusion and pelletisation to be molded into new recycled plastic products.
Do you want to be part of the conversation?
We would love to hear from you! Drop us a line via our contact page.